Boiling Spring Cemetery Genealogy Collection
Scope and Contents
Collection of research on the Old Boiling Spring Cemetery, compiled by Jill Hastings in the course of her work as the Director of the Montgomery County Archives.
- Jill Hastings-Johnson (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research use.
Conditions Governing Use
Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.
Biographical / Historical
The Boiling Spring Cemetery, located on Britton Springs Road in Montgomery County, is a cemetery created from the grave removals of 1941-1942 from the federal government's property used to create Camp Campbell. although called Boing Spring, the cemetery is actually made up of removals from at least four graveyards in addition to those removed from the Boiling Spring Church's cemetery.
The Boiling Spring Church began before 1873, and it is presumed that burials in the church's cemetery began about that same time. Because the church's records were destroyed by a fire, there are no lists of those interred at the cemetery.
Death certificates for Montgomery County deaths from 1908 to 1912 do not state the place of burial. Beginning in 1913, Tennessee death certificates usually identify the graveyard, burying ground, or cemetery. Kentucky began vital registration earlier than Tennessee, but specific information such as the place of burial did not appear on Christian County death certificates until 1910. In the case of the Boiling Spring Church, this means there is a gap of approximately 39 years (ca. 1873-1914) for which there are no known burial records. Burial records for small family cemeteries which probably also date to the end of the Civil War, are practically non-existent.
In addition to the removals from the Boiling Spring Church (over 425), there were other document removals - at least 18 removals from the Hamilton Cornell Cemetery, 42 removals from the Childers farm, and 4 from the R.A. Walker tract. Further, there were unknown numbers of removals from other black cemeteries such as Reeves Chapel. There may have been other cemeteries moved to the current Boiling Spring Cemetery on Britton Springs Road since there are over 500 graves at this location. Several tombstones have emblems of the Mosaic Templars of America, a black fraternal organization begun in 1882. A list of the known deceased, certificates of death, and other information can be found in this collection.
1.251 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Materials are arranged alphabetically, with one file per documnted individual interred at the Boiling Spring Cemetery. These files are preceded by three files with working research papers and assorted copies.
- Inventory of the Boiling Spring Cemetery Genealogy Collection
- Sarah Fry
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description